Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bipolar I and II Disorder

Yes there really is such a thing as Bipolar II. I know first hand all about Bipolar II, as I have suffered from Bipolar II for many years. So what are the differences between them you ask? From my experience and from Mamas Health, Bipolar I is the "classic" form of Bipolar Disorder. It is characterized by widely spaced, long-lasting bouts of mania followed by long-lasting bouts of depression. Sometimes the person may experience or have long-lasting bouts of depression followed by long-lasting bouts of mania. Between Bipolar episodes, the individual often experiences the normal range of moods. In most cases of Bipolar I disorder, the depressive phrases far out number the manic phases, and the cycles of mania and depression are not regular or predictable. Bipolar II Disorder is characterized by depressive episodes with occasional bouts of hypomania (low-grade manic symptoms). Individuals with Bipolar II Disorder do not experience full-blown manic phases.

Bipolar Disorder can be severe and long-term or it can be mild with infrequent episodes like I have. If you want to have mild and infrequent episodes like I do, then you need to find the right combination of medicines. It wan't until 2005 when I was diagnosed correctly with Bipolar II. For many years I had "assumed" the diagnosis of such things as major depression, clinical depression even borderline personality disorder. One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to know all about the disorders and the differences between the two.

I experienced many of the symptoms of Bipolar I, but never really had full-blown mania, nor long-term mania. So I never thought to mention that to my doctors until 2005, hence all the incorrect diagnosis' over the years. Once I mentioned it to my doctor and he discussed all the in's and out's of Bipolar II with me, the pieces of the puzzle all came together. A huge weight felt like it was lifted off my shoulders immediately. I could finally breath a sigh of relief, no more guessing. I was finally diagnosed and treated appriately. Now, I take the correct medications, receive counseling, (when/if I need it) follow the suggested activities and protocol. And I now lead a much happier, healthier, functional lifestyle. So as you can see, there is hope for you too!
*For more information about Bipolar I and Bipolar II Disorders and their symptoms, please visit:
NAMI MHA SAMHSA

No comments: